What One Eats When They Can’t Chew.

>> Saturday, February 4, 2012

Part 1 of many, I am sure…

A question on so many people’s minds, right?  Right.  And I make a promise to you that it’s more than just smoothies and ice cream.  I can hardly get a spoon in my mouth – plus ice cream with chunks would also prove to be difficult since I’d want to munch them up!

I found an insert in one of my old Real Simple magazines (dated Feb. 2011).  It was 10 Ideas for Smoothies.  How appropriate!

Banana-Cashew Smoothie
from Real Simple
image

Recipe:
1/2 cup water and 1/4 cup raw unsalted cashews in a blender.  Cover & refrigerate until cashews have softened, at least 6 hours (we did overnight)
Add 1 cup ice, 1/2 banana, 1 tbsp maple syrup.  Blend until smooth.


Nutrition: 301 calories, 16g fat, 6g protein, 38g carbs, 21g sugar, 3g fiber

This one was good.  Very good, in fact.  It does take some forethought though since you have to soak the cashews for 6 hours (or overnight).  It would be a little high on calories, sugar and fat for someone who were to be dieting.  Since I’m interested in higher calorie and high protein items – this fit the bill for me.  Maybe I’ll get a photo next time it gets blended up – but for now, this is the one off of the Real Simple webpage.  Accurate depiction.

Raspberry and Nut Smoothie

from Real Simple
image 

Recipe:
3/4 cup low-fat milk, 3/4 cup frozen raspberries, 1/2 banana, 1 tbsp almond or peanut butter, 1 tbsp agave nectar or honey
Blend until smooth!

Nutrition: 355 calories, 14g fat, 10g protein, 53g carbs, 40g sugar, 7g fiber

This recipe was also great.  It says it serves one person – but we also use a whole banana (instead of a half, in both) so for us it really makes like 1.5 servings.  Neither the raspberry or the peanut butter really jump out and claim the stage – it’s a nice blend of them both. 

This recipe and the previous recipe are so high in calories and fat because of the fresh nuts that are added in. Again, maybe not the best for someone on a strict calorie count – but great for someone who is trying to maintain their weight with a strong workout routine or gain weight even. 

Avocado Smoothie

from All Recipes

image 

Recipe: (2 servings)

1 ripe avocado, halved and pitted,

1 cup milk,

1/2 cup vanilla yogurt,

3 tbsp honey,

8 ice cubes.  Blend until smooth.


Nutrition: 370 calories, 18g fat, 9g protein, 7g fiber

I know what you’re thinking…avocado smoothie?  Gross!  But it’s so NOT gross – it was very good!  The texture was very light – reminds me of key lime pie or instant pistachio pudding. Yum!  I’ll definitely make this one again. 

I don’t think my calories were as high as what are posted on All Recipes.  I used fat free milk and Greek yogurt…so it may have been more like 300 calories instead of 370 – but neither here nor there.

More to come…I am having some fun keeping my diet interesting.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Leave this girl some love!

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP