The Kitchen - Before

>> Sunday, February 28, 2010

So I mentioned in my last post that there were items on my weekend "to-do" list that I left off my list because they deserved their own post. Truth of the matter is - they are going to get several posts.

We are currently in the planning stages of renovating our kitchen. I'm sure all of you are thinking "*gasp!* But your house is only 2 years old!" Well, almost 2 years old...


That's right. It is only 2 years old. But we also moved in 2 years ago knowing that we didn't love our kitchen, knowing it could be better, and determined to do something about it. It's taken living here for a little under 2 years for the best plan to develop, the money saved to do it, and the planning to begin.


So here's a glimpse of what we're working with:



What you're seeing in the last picture is what is getting the majority of the overhaul. Technically, it's supposed to be our dinette (or eat-in kitchen, if you will). Note the light fixture that used to be centered over our table.


It was a little cramped and The Mr. and I both like to cook. Sometime we're in there together and the only real prep space is the island. This can create problems sometimes because we'll be under each other's feet - especially since the stove/oven is so close to the island. We needed a "two person" kitchen.


So what's the plan, Stan?


Well, we're going to put cabinets along the wall to the left of the dishwasher. Mostly standard size cabinets with one pantry cabinet. We're also going to rotate the island 90 degrees towards the sink/dishwasher area and probably move it 6" to the left. That will give us some more space and give us room to put our oven underneath the island. Replace the range with a smooth surface cooktop. And install new countertops.


Stay tuned...this is just the beginning! I am going to break down some of our inspiration ideas and hopefully a blow by blow of the kitchen as it comes together over the next couple (to several) months.

post signature

3 comments:

Tiffany February 28, 2010 at 9:43 PM  

I think your kitchen looks great, but you've got to go with what works best for you. I have a smooth cooktop and I LOVE it. Clean up is a breeze!

Cheerful Homemaker March 1, 2010 at 1:11 PM  

I think your kitchen looks great now, but understand wanting to expand. It can never be too big, right? We just started redoing our bathroom, which I'm sure will result in lots of tears.

Melissa March 1, 2010 at 9:56 PM  

FUN! I know how it feels to work in a cramped kitchen. At our first apartment together we had the smallest kitchen in the world and it made cooking no fun at all.

Post a Comment

Leave this girl some love!

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP