shhh! This is a library!

>> Thursday, January 14, 2010

Yesterday when lunch time rolled around I was tired of sitting at my desk. I didn't have a magazine to read on the treadmill at the gym. I didn't want to go to mall for fear of spending money. So I decided to go to the library to find a new book.

Only after I pulled into the parking lot did I realize that was a bad call. I should have stayed at my desk.

The parking lot was FULL. Actually, over capacity because people were parked illegally. I'm a very legal person - so I stalked a mom and her kid to their spot so I could have it. Then I see another mom + kid duo. And another. And another.

I think to myself "Oh, look - children's reading hour or something must be finishing up." I think it was more like an "or something". As I walked in the door - some children were screaming their heads off as if someone just stole their favorite toy, some children were just yelling, and some children were just whatev.

I try to be extremely patient when I am somewhere and their is a child's event going on. I understand that when there are a lot of small children in a large group it can be hard to manage. I understand that around lunch time it may be nap time for a large majority. I get it.

It's hard for me to not get flustered or anxious though. I am trying to work on being more understanding and patient. I know that one day, I may be that mom with the screaming child in a library (although my parents never allowed us to speak above a whisper in a library - regardless of the situation). Children aren't always angels - so I know some day I'll be out running errands with an irritable, unruly child. I often ask myself how I would handle this situation? What would I say to that child for them to understand that what they are doing isn't acceptable? What would I do to reinforce this? Would I just cut my errand(s) short and take them home? Say "we're done for the day!"? I am the youngest of three - so I'm not even sure I remember what my mom did when we became unruly.

I can only hope that the parents of these children acting like maniacs in a library are doing everything they can to teach their children how to properly act in public. One day, when they are older, they will hopefully appreciate their parents efforts (and so will the rest of society).

And I can only hope that when I become a parent, I hope that I don't suck at it.


post signature

3 comments:

Cheerful Homemaker January 14, 2010 at 12:51 PM  

Lots of times when they read a story to the children, they ask questions and have the kids participate. Screaming is bad, though. I once told someone that no one will know I have kids for a while because I won't take them in public until they can behave. I'm always so embarrassed when other people's kids scream.

Amanda January 15, 2010 at 9:42 AM  

I went to the library around lunch time this week too. Fortunately there weren't crazy kids screaming, but the parking lot was also packed! I couldn't get over it, just because on weekends I never see that many cars there.

Post a Comment

Leave this girl some love!

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP