It's That Time of Year Again!

>> Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Time for your company's United Way representative to start asking everyone to throw down some cash!

I think that the United Way is a great organization that helps essentially fundraise for other organizations. I'm glad people donate their time and money to this organization and help it succeed.

It's just not for me.

Why is it not for me?

Well - in college, I was a member of a service sorority (Gamma Sigma Sigma). Our organization not only supported the United Way, but it also supported individual organizations (Susan G. Komen, American Cancer Society, March of Dimes, the local Habitat for Humanity, local after school programs, the pysch ward, American Red Cross, Blood Connection...)

As I participated in these events - I found that I enjoyed myself more and gained more out of not only volunteering my time to these individual organizations but also giving my money directly to the organizations that I felt strongly about. I liked this idea better than giving to the United Way and then letting them handle the distribution of my money. I've explained this multiple times to multiple people I work with. After explaining it, most people seem to understand and respect my point of view.

Except one. We'll call her Ms. United Way (or Ms. UW for short). She is trying hard to raise money in a bad economy for the United Way - and that's got to be difficult. But don't get snarky with me when you hand me the United Way packet and say "Well, here's your packet and donation form. You can at least wait until I walk away to throw it in the trash can."

All of this came out of her mouth before I could even say "Good morning".

Really?

And for the record - if you ever wanted to change my mind about UW, that is not the way to do it.

And while we're adding things to the "record", Ms. UW - this year The Mr. and I have already donated to the American Cancer Society, donated to Goodwill, participated in Relay for Life, given blood on multiple occasions, volunteered for Meals on Wheels, attended the most.depressing.lunch ever for the Red Cross and volunteered for Habitat for Humanity.

So, Ms. UW, don't get snarky with me because I won't pay $3 for a Chic-Fil-A biscuit or donate money out of my last.two.paychecks because there's a great chance that I will not be employed after that.

Sincerely,

post signature

1 comments:

jessica lynn October 19, 2009 at 10:38 PM  

i totally agree that it is much more fulfilling to give your time v. money!!!!

Post a Comment

Leave this girl some love!

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP