Surgery Day

>> Tuesday, January 31, 2012

I didn’t take any photos of myself when I got to the hospital yesterday. I am pretty sure I looked a lot like I did on January 29 – except I don’t think my hair looked quite as styled. 

 



I went back into the holding cell right around 8:30am and got changed into my awesome hospital gown that could be hooked up to like a vacuum cleaner attachment and you can control the temperature of the inside of your gown.  It was bizarre.  I opted for warm blankets, thank you very much. 

I asked Dr. D if I was going to get double D’s – he said that they wouldn’t got below the clavicle.  Fine.  I got hooked up to the IVs, talked to the anesthesiologist, you know – the normal stuff.  I don’t remember getting wheeled back into the OR or getting out of the OR.  Apparently I was in Recovery for ~1 hour before I started to even wake up…and even then my eyesight was really, really blurry. 

The Mr. got hourly updates from the OR but apparently the surgery didn’t take nearly as long as the surgeon's expected.  They also felt like it went very well and was exactly what they expected. 

I had to stay in Recovery for another half hour to get my pain managed – I think I told them I was a 5 our of 10 when I woke up.  Most of my pain felt like it was in the jaw socket.  Everything else felt like some pressure but it was mostly really tight in the socket.  It was easily managed with the Percocet that the hospital provided.  While I laid there, I got pretty hot – like sweaty hot.  I was feeling nauseous and light headed so they took one set of blankets off of me.  I couldn’t get to my room and into a lighter weight gown fast enough.  I felt so much better after I got changed as you can see below. 

Day 1 Jan 31

Two thumbs up – I was feeling pretty okay at this point.  Check out the hot hair!   I was mostly happy to see familiar faces and get awake, have something to drink, and maybe take a nap.  I got back into the room at 2pm. 

Since I didn’t get back to my room until after lunch was brought around, I had to ask for something to eat around 4pm.  I don’t think I even could feel how starving I really was.  I had to stop eating at midnight the night before and I had my last meal at 8:30pm or so.  The chicken broth that was brought to me was seriously the best tasting broth I’ve ever had.  Dinner was brought around a little later.  They were so kind to provide me with a popsicle that I couldn’t even fit into my mouth.  I think I consumed something ridiculous like ~300-500 calories that day.  That was not good.  I think that’s in part where some of my nausea came from.

Dr. D stopped by my room around 8 or 9pm.  I was fading in and out when he came by because I was tired.  He said I looked good and went over some basics with me.  All was good and The Mr. headed home for the night. 

That one night in the hospital was seriously the longest night ever.  I was so aggravated that night at midnight I was posting statuses to facebook.  I was actually sound asleep when I got woken up at midnight.  Seriously, all I wanted was a glass of water.  Then I was awake and needed pain meds at 1:30.  Awake again at 2:30. Awake again at 3:30. Awake again at 4:30, then 5, then 6… I hope that tonight is better but I’m not holding out a lot of hope or anything. The only difference is that I don’t have someone on the other end of a button to come to my beck and call. 

2 comments:

Beth February 1, 2012 at 9:50 PM  

No need for a button! Just kick the old man sleeping next to you ;-)

Amy February 2, 2012 at 9:23 AM  

So glad to hear that you're doing well. Not gonna lie, you look like one sexy beast in that photo! ;) Or...at least one of those old school wrestler costumes.

Love ya girl! Just think, it can only get better from here.

Post a Comment

Leave this girl some love!

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP