Weekend In Review

>> Monday, March 22, 2010

Well, let's recap the weekend...because I'm confident I didn't get all this done as planned.

Friday

1. Errands: Target, AC Moore, bank, Sherwin Williams, grocery store completed!
2. Pull up linoleum in the morning room to prep for new flooring. completed! {more on this later...}
3. Gym? ...didn't happen. Lost track of time while pulling staples out of the floor.
4.Do something outside. Anything. sat on the patio in the evening
5. Clean the house. I have decided that cleaning the house is going to be temporarily disbanded until the construction (or de-construction as it may be) is finished. I'd be dusting all.day.long.

Saturday
I'm not even going to go through this list individually. Why? Because the only two things that happened were laundry and ironing. And ironing didn't happen until Sunday. We spent 90% of the day pulling up underlayment (the Mr.) or prying staples out of the floor. When I wasn't pulling staples, I was sitting on the patio in the sun relaxing or straightening the kitchen and such.


1. Go on a picnic with The Mr. {perfect weather}
2. Get the last pictures for our "name frame"
3. Order said pictures.
4. Spread mulch?
5. Laundry.
6. Iron clothes {because I won't have time on Sunday}

Sunday - And none of this happened.

1. Tape master bath for painting.
2. Paint master bath
3. KKPsi meeting?


Pulling up the linoleum was fast. The Mr. had a time pulling up the underlayment because of the ridiculous amounts of staples used to fasten it to the subfloor. And I mean ri.dic.u.lous. At the edges of the board there were at least 2-3 staples per inch. They just went crazy with the automatic stapler. So pulling staples up was my job. One by one I muscled those things out of floor. It took me probably 8 hours total (spread over 3 days) to do the morning room. The foyer won't be so bad. The kitchen? Could potentially be the end of me. We haven't pulled up the linoleum in there yet to see the damage.

I haven't started pulling staples in the foyer yet. Why? Oh, because we found MOLD between the underlayment and the subfloor at the threshold of the front door. Nice, black, mold. It wasn't just a little bit like we found at the backdoor in the morning room. There was little enough there for us to just clean it up with bleach and feel okay about it. We feel like it is probably due to the floor being laid while the subfloor was still wet or damp. If there were a leak issue with the front door then it would most likely be showing signs of rot since we're working on two years in the home and we've had A LOT of rain this year. To be safe (and not sorry) we are calling the builder today. Hopefully someone will at least come out to look at it...even if they offer no help in fixing it.

So that is why I didn't get my whole list done. :)

I did buy the paint for the master bath this weekend though since there was the Sherwin Williams sale going on. When the hardwoods get installed, the Mr. and I will probably alternate on taking time off work to be home. If I don't have any work to do from home, I will probably take that opportunity to paint the bathroom. I'll be essentially confined to the upstairs anyway - so why not just paint then?

I'll keep you posted on the mold issue...


post signature

4 comments:

Renee March 22, 2010 at 10:42 AM  

It sounds like you're making a lot of progress! I remember how much of a pain it was to pull up the underlayment in the bathroom and hammer the staples down. I can't imagine doing that large of a space!

So, are you going to DIY the floors or have you gotten anymore contractor quotes?

Cheerful Homemaker March 22, 2010 at 1:43 PM  

I HATE pulling out staples! When we pulled up the carpet in the dining room, I spent hours sitting on the floor with my utility bar and a pair of pliers. I swear there had to have been a million and seven staples. I'm scared to pull up the carpet in the living room because I know there will be twice as many!

Elle March 22, 2010 at 5:15 PM  

Sounds like you went to the gym afterall, just used different work out methods!

Diane,  March 23, 2010 at 3:05 PM  

Wow Sis - you had an ambitious weekend. I need you to get me motivated. I didn't do much beyond sit outside.

Post a Comment

Leave this girl some love!

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP