Orange, TX

>> Tuesday, September 15, 2009

I got "the word" this morning - so now I can fill you all in. (I am positive you were on pins and needles yesterday afternoon!)

Orange, TX - it's where that little, itty bitty red dot is at the lower right of Texas. It's an hour and half northeast of Houston. 45 minutes due west of Lake Charles, LA.

What about it? What not about it?

No, I'm kidding. Here's the story: my project ends at the end of October and there currently isn't any work for me (or anyone) once that's done. There was an opportunity in Orange, TX to work at a plant owned by one of our clients. The duration was 12-15 months, no expenses paid. You read that right - NO expenses paid. My boss mentioned a possible pay increase to try to help cover some of the cost - but who knows. So I had to weigh the decisions.

Do I say "Thanks, but no thanks" and risk getting laid off at the end of October?
Do I say "Sure - when do I leave?"
How would The Mr. feel about it?
What will I miss out on while in Texas? (because let's face it - a plane trip home isn't cheap)
What's best for my career?

The Mr. and I talked about it and after a very emotional discussion in the parking lot (since I had less than 9 hours to decide) decided that it would be in my best interest to throw my name in the hat. It would help me continue to gain experience (because being laid off or furloughed gets you zero XP), I could keep earning PTO (instead of using it to be furloughed while I sit at home and ponder my fate in November), I could keep putting money into my 401(k) - and now is a great time to do that, and the best part? I would still have a job 12 months from now. I would have been able to hopefully ride out "the storm" in South Carolina.

I have friends who were laid off in March and have yet to find a job (in the same field as I am). Engineering firms are letting people go in waves. There is no hope. Texas was my hope - even though it pained me that I was going to be leaving my home and husband for a year to live in Texas.

This morning, I got an email from my boss - they decided to hire locally.

I didn't want to go to Texas. But now I feel let down because the date "Oct. 30" once again looms in my not-so-distant future.

post signature

2 comments:

Jennifer September 15, 2009 at 11:34 AM  

I know how you feel about not knowing where your job stands... architecture firms aren't exactly keeping everyone right now either. In fact, a firm here let go of their entire interior dept (what I do) just last week.

But you at least took the initiative to say you'd do it, so that'll look positive for you. And now you don't have to leave. I'm sure it'll turn out well, but I will keep you and your job in my prayers!

Cheerful Homemaker September 16, 2009 at 12:34 AM  

Uggh.. My husband works for Caterpillar, which has laid of so many workers. We were on the edge of our seats for so long. He, too, is an engineer. Fortunately, he has been able to work without being laid off.

Post a Comment

Leave this girl some love!

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP